Feb 5, 2013

Work It Out: Resolution 5a

There should be a subsection under my 5th resolution for workout more, eat less, drink more water, blah blah blah. I've really been trying to get in shape for college and since I'm not playing sports anymore due to injuries in my foot and ankle, it's a little harder than when I used to be a two sport athlete.

One.
Track your calories/write down everything you eat. It works really really well for me. It's easy, teaches you portion control and it works. Simple as that. Great apps are Lose It and MyFitnessPal.

Two.
Drink water, not soda. I gave up Diet Coke for a new years resolution, and while I still have a sleeve in the house for when I really need a zero calorie caffeine fix, I don't drink one every day. I've also cut back on my coffee to one cup in the morning. The rest of the day I drink water from my Nalgene. If I really need something to add taste, I'll throw a few cucumbers in my bottle.

Three.
Look at serving sizes. It really makes a difference. I used to have no clue what a tablespoon of peanut butter actually looked like, or what a serving size of chicken was. You wouldn't not measure out the different ingredients for baking cookies, so why not do it for yourself?

Four.
Fruits and vegetables really do fill you up. They're also super good for you.

Five.
I rarely eat fast food, and if I do it's only Five Guys or Chick Fil A, which I don't really even consider fast food. One, it adds up, and two, most of mass prepared food is actually disgusting. I love a good chicken biscuit, but only on the occasion. I've even given up my Starbucks fix!

Six.
Make a plan to go to the gym, and stick to it. Getting in the car to go to the gym is the hardest part to me. Once I'm on my way, I'm fine. I help teach swim lessons twice a week or if I'm just working, I'll normally not start until an hour after school ends, so it's a perfect amount of time to go to the gym.

Seven.
Change it up. I do spin class, I swim, and I run. It's good for your muscles, it prevents boredom, and they all clear your head in a different way. I always swim if I want to relax, run if I'm angry, and spin if I need a reality check.

Eight.
Reward yourself with material things, not food. I've been known to say "I've worked really hard, I deserve that second piece of cake etc etc etc", yes you might, but material things last longer. A manicure or a new pair of shoes comes to mind. Or for me, Lulu. I look good in spin class, and I'm motivated to go. I think that's what Stephen Covey would call a win-win situation.

Nine.
If you want to judge yourself by the number on the scale, go ahead. I use it as a reference, but I don't beat myself up over it. I am tall, and very muscular, and muscle weighs more than fat. Simple as that.

Ten.
It takes time. Be patient.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thanks for leaving one! XOXO