Nov 27, 2012

Vote Abigail!

The 2012 Election might be over, but now it's time to vote for something that doesn't involve barbs, endless ads, and actually serves a greater good!

While I was in Georgetown this summer, I got to meet Katie Meyler, who founded the More Than Me Foundation, which gets little girls off the street and into school in one of the world’s most dangerous slums in the world in Liberia, West Africa. 

She is probably one of the most inspiring people I've ever met, and her foundation is amazing. This Christmas, they've been chosen to compete for $1 Million in the 2nd Annual Chase American Giving Awards contest!

The voting begins today! Vote Abigail! 

I am very selective in choosing charities to support, and I firmly believe that Katie is changing the lives of these little girls. I wish that I could be in her shoes! 

Who is Abigail? Below is a letter she wrote a few weeks ago.
My name is Abigail.
I’m 13 years old. I live in West Point, Liberia. I don’t know my parents… I was left with women I didn’t know when I was 6 years old. They took care of me, but life was hard. Often, I didn’t have a place to sleep or food to eat. I was in and out of school. I used to sleep at a video club, that’s how I survived. I was abused, both in my mind and body. I didn’t feel loved.
When I met Katie and More Than Me, my life changed. I have a new home now and food to eat. I’m in school now. I’m happy now. I feel like I have a future now. I feel loved. I’ve learned how to bake, which helps me earn extra money.
Thank God for More Than Me — they are the only family I have now. Please help vote for me so I can continue in this new life and stay in school. Your vote is my future. I’ll do anything to show you that I’ll do my best in school and become something with my life.
Love,

Abigail


More than Me is definitely doing their part! Vote Abigail for the next four days and help support their efforts!

xoxo,

Royar
{The Young Southern Prep}

1 comment:

  1. hey royar:-) i think it's really sweet how katie and you are doing all this for the kids and especially abigail! You and katie are such a huge inspirations with such a huge hearts, hope one day i will be able to contribute back to society as much as you guys have:-) Youre AMAZING! xx

    btw i just started a blog, would love if you could give it a read!
    mannequin-skin.blogspot.com

    love,
    miranda

    twitter: @indigobingo
    instagram: @mannequinskin

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thanks for leaving one! XOXO